Peculiar, that; not until the bullets were whizzing past me, and neurons were racing to plot my counterstrike; and I felt my blood pulsing and leaking; and I gained an instant, almost telepathic understanding of my surroundings, of how to escape and how to attack, where to find shelter and where to pass and what to use; and shots flew wild as hornets through the streets; and fear and chaos broke out over the stupefied masses of stupid churchgoers; and blood spattered dark and hot against my perfect, ivory face; and I knew exactly how I would win; not until then did I understand why this had been the happiest day of my life. Happiness is nothing more than concordance with destiny, and I am destined to rise above this vile world and its simple subjects, by the most violent of possible means. Bring them all against me, the world at once, and I will not cower. I am prepared. Where David has slain ten thousand, I shall slay ten million, or ten billion if the need should be. Is there any more beautiful revelation than this: that the world is flawed in every respect, and you shall be the one to correct it? Whether true or false, whether I will strike out as a god or as a flash of lightning, the emotion is the same, and that is all that reality imports. St. La Cama may have been wrong; the history of humankind may be written in monuments of stone. But the future will be written by me.
No comments:
Post a Comment